Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What Once Was a Wine Bottle is Now a Birdfeeder

A wine bottle into a birdfeeder. And no it's not a hummingbird feeder, though I adore hummingbirds too. (If you've never seen a wine bottle hummingbird feeder, search Google images.) My wine bottle birdfeeder actually holds birdseed, from millet to shelled peanuts and black oil sunflower seeds to safflower.
My birdfeeder is made in many ways like the accect lamps from my previous post, minus all the extra glass and gluing. I use the following pieces to make my birdfeeder:
1. hose clamp
2. wire
3. used cork from any wine bottle
4. a used glass or ceramic-type small plate (cup saucer or salad plate)
5. any wine bottle

Holes drilled into sides
Beside these five pieces, I use a hand drill and glass drill bit for the holes. Typically, I drill two holes, one on each side - more than two, it gets a little crowded. I have on occasion drilled as many as four holes in random places so that taller birds can easily access the birdseed too. Unlike hummingbirds that can hover and eat at the same time, most other birds have to be stationary when eating. This is where the small plate or saucer comes in.

I find all my plates at the thrift store of course. I prefer smaller plates for the smaller birds, because of course the larger the plate the larger the bird that can land on it - those darn crows, grackles and starlings. I use a waterproof glue, bought at Lowes. I follow the manufacturer's instructions on the tube. I sand the bottom of the bottle, apply glue to it and then center the bottle on the saucer. I leave it alone overnight. By the next day, the glue is dry and the bottle can be handled.
Wire and hose clamp assembly
 with champagne topper
 I attach the hose clamp with wire to the top of the 
bottle, fill the bottle with birdseed (I have to use a funnel when doing this) and put the cork in it (a plastic champagne topper will fit too). It's now officially a wine bottle birdfeeder. I can take it outside for the birds to enjoy.


A beautiful cardinal eating safflower
seeds from a wine bottle birdfeeder
Total cost to make a wine bottle birdfeeder - under $5.

Until next time...
find something to repurpose.

Thanks,
Okie


1 comment:

  1. Hello, I recently saw a bird feeder made out of a wine bottle from a distance. Thought this was a great idea as my daughter sells wine and can get my hands on the bottles. I took the bottles over to my mom as she had a drill bit we used on glass blocks, most of them turned out ok (some had some shattered glass breakage in small area by hole.
    I was wondering what hand drill you used as I used machine (some of problem was glass needed to be more secure, moved as I was doing). I also thought I saw the hole little higher than yours, does it work better close to bottom?

    I appreciate your feed back,
    Thank You

    Tuesday (my name, lol)

    ReplyDelete